Call for participants & presenters for a one-day workshop
on qualitative methods in migration research
- When: 21st June 2022, 9.30am-4pm
- Where: Centre for Criminology (Faculty of Law), University of Oxford*
- Register and/or send an abstract for via this link
- Deadline: 13th May 2022
- The full call for papers and schedule is available here.
Border Criminologies and the University of Oxford’s Migration and Mobility Network (MMN) invite 25-30 early career researchers and postgraduate students to participate in the one-day workshop: “‘A constant state of flux’: Ethnography, qualitative methods, and migration research in the post-COVID era” to be held in Oxford on the 21st of June, 2022 in the Centre for Criminology (Faculty of Law). This workshop aims to bring early-careers researchers together to:
- Discuss the implications of fragmenting and shifting sites of bordering for evolving methodologies and claims to knowledge;
- Reflect on recent developments in and critiques of the use of qualitative research in migration studies and border criminology, and discuss how early-career researchers might learn from these critiques when conducting empirical research; and,
- Develop novel approaches to qualitative methods through participative collaboration.
In the morning, speakers will present their work with participant Q&A. In the afternoon, participants will be split into facilitated groups to engage in collaborative discussions on the workshop’s aims. If you wish to present in the morning session, please submit a short paper abstract (max 300 words, 5 keywords), as well as a short bio including your name, contact details, and institutional affiliation by the 13th of May 2022. The full event description is available here . Please direct any questions to Border Criminologies Events: Victoria.Taylor@crim.ox.ac.uk
*While participants and presenters are encouraged to attend in person (COVID-permitting), online participation will be available
Measuring Migration Conference: Registration Open
- Sponsors: Nuffield College (University of Oxford) and the Oxford Migration and Mobility Network (MMN)
- Format: Hybrid (in person and online)
- When: June 9, 2022 from 10am-7:30pm AND June 10, 2022 from 10am-5:45pm (UK Time Zone)
- Where: Nuffield College (University of Oxford) and Microsoft Teams
This conference seeks to explore the idea of “measuring” migration, to the extent that it is possible, using a variety of methods from interdisciplinary perspectives. We aim to explore the ethics and implications of what it means to track migratory flows, and we discuss when this might be appropriate and why these data are helpful/harmful. Conference registration is free and open to all, though in-person spaces are limited. This conference will be conducted in English. The conference agenda will be shared soon. Register via this link.
Research Centres Events
Use the links below to visit the events page of each centre:
Leading scholars from Oxford and the wider academic community regularly present their work at public seminar series held during term time:
- COMPAS Seminar Series
Thursdays 16.00 – 17.00, online
More details …
- RSC Public Seminar Series
Wednesdays 17.00 – 18.30, online
More details …
Podcasts and Presentations
For the latest podcasts of speeches and presentations please visit the Oxford iTunes U website.